MOTHER, COMMUNITY ORGANIZER, BUSINESS AND NON-PROFIT LEADER, DEMOCRAT
- 2003: Graduated from New York University, Bachelors in Political Science
- 2003 – 2004: Program Coordinator, EastWest Institute
- 2004 – 2007: Development Associate for Corporations, International House
- 2005 – 2006: Consultant, Carpathian Foundation
- 2007 – 2010: Director of Membership, United Nations Association of the USA (UNA-USA)
- 2010: Managed the merger of UNA-USA with the United Nations Foundation
- 2010 – 2011: Director, UNA-USA Membership, United Nations Foundation
- 2011 – 2014: Director of Operations, Economic Development and Africa Programs, New York University
- 2011: Married Christopher Shirley
- 2014: Welcomed Mila Shirley
- 2015: Graduated from New York University’s Stern School of Business, MBA with Specializations in Economics, Management, and Social Innovation
- 2015: Selected as a Global Champion for Women’s Economic Empowerment, UN Women
- 2015 – Present: Independent Consultant: Vital Voices, Women Deliver, Global Health Visions, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, PL+US Paid Leave for the United States
- 2016: Welcomed Nicholas Shirley
- 2017: Founded New York’s 2nd District Democrats
- 2017: Announced candidacy for U.S. Congress, New York’s 2nd District
Liuba has already been endorsed by many local leaders, elected officials, celebrities and activist groups including:
Assemblyman Phil Ramos
Assemblyman Charles Lavine
Amityville Mayor Dennis Siry
New York’s 2nd District Democrats
Bay Shore Women’s Huddle
Long Island Activists
Women With a Voice of Long Island
“Liuba is a fighter for change, who has worked day in and day out on behalf of our community to lift up Long Islanders. She is a champion for children, for women, for the environment, for functional government – and I am proud to endorse Liuba,” said Assemblyman Charles Lavine.
“Liuba represents the next generation of leadership for Long Island, and I couldn’t be more excited to be backing her campaign. She is a community organizer and member of our Amityville Downtown Revitalization Committee. Liuba is a determined workhorse who truly cares about our district, and she is exactly who we need representing us in Washington,” said Amityville Mayor Dennis Siry.
“Liuba Grechen Shirley is a principled and visionary leader, who puts people before politics. We will never cringe at her public statements like we do with our current congressman. Liuba will fight against Republican attempts to leave 26 million people uninsured. She will oppose efforts to take away middle-class tax credits such as the property tax credit, that homeowners deduct. This will only serve to hurt working families and benefit Wall Street fat cats. And she refuses to traffic in vile political rhetoric that demonizes multiethnic communities. No dog whistles! No race baiting with ridiculous disclaimers attached. She means what she says and says what she means. I stand behind Liuba and urge the voters to vote for her as a way to do their part to save our country from those who seek to turn back the clock to a darker time,” said Assemblyman Phil Ramos.
“Suffolk Progressives is proud to endorse Liuba Grechen Shirley! Liuba has proven herself to be a driving force in New York’s 2nd District, inspiring others to become active and engaged citizens. Her passion, intellect, and a keen grasp of the issues that Long Islanders face make her an ideal candidate. Liuba will be a congresswoman who will listen to and engage with constituents, and fight for working families,” said Shoshana Hershkowitz, founder of Suffolk Progressives.
“Liuba’s passion and enthusiasm for progressive politics are evident from the first time you meet her. What is also clear is her intellect. She is well versed on the issues that affect the people of Long Island, but also listens and responds to their concerns. I have no doubt she will make an excellent Congresswoman and will work to truly represent the needs of all Long Islanders,” said Kerry Jones-Golembeski, founder of the Bay Shore Women’s Huddle.